If you live in a medium-sized or large community, the search for the right nursing home or care facility for a loved one can be intimidating. There are many facilities to choose from. If you're looking in from the outside, they may all appear to be the same. Plus, who has time to go in and take a tour of every facility in the area? That is where senior placement services come into the picture.
The purpose of these services isn't to choose for you. Instead, they help you eliminate options that might not meet your loved one's needs, helping you to zero in on what will be the ideal placement for your loved one. These are a few ways a senior care placement service can help you in your search for the right care for your aging loved one.
Help You Define the Type of Facility Your Loved One Needs
You've probably heard many different names for senior living facilities. There are a number of them, and they all mean different things. By understanding the type of care your loved one needs, you can quickly eliminate facilities that do not meet those needs. Some of the names they can help you understand and differentiate between include:
- Skilled nursing. This can include short-term rehabilitative services.
- Memory care. For patients with dementia or Alzheimer's disease, these centers focus on the specialized safety, stability, and emotional care these patients require.
- Assisted living facilities. For patients who can participate in their care, these facilities offer assistance when needed while promoting independent living.
- Hospice care. These facilities work to make patients comfortable as they approach their final days. They provide pain management but do not offer life-saving care.
- Independent living communities. These communities promote independent living among their residents and may provide limited medical care and services.
- Nursing homes. These homes offer full-service medical care and supervision with nurses on hand 24/7 to oversee medications, monitor vital signs, and see to the welfare of patients.
As you can see, there are a lot of options, but senior placement services help you understand the care needs your loved one faces and identify the facilities in your community that can serve their needs best.
There are other ways senior placement services help. Those include identifying things like activities, nutrition services, and amenities various facilities offer that might enhance the quality of life your loved one experiences based on his or her interests. Working with a senior placement service can save you an extraordinary amount of time in your search while helping you quickly identify optimal facilities for your loved one.